The auditions for the 2016 Concert Bands will be held on August 22, 2016. Audition time sign up sheets will be posted during band camp. Below you will find links to the prepared music required for the audition.
Please download your part, print and practice! We look forward to seeing you in August!
While these are very basic things, please keep in mind the following:
What to do:
· Present a professional image (you get only one chance to make a first impression)
· Take control of the situation (plan what you are going to play and do)
· Dress for the occasion
· Be on time and warmed up
· Make sure your instrument and reeds are working properly
· Leave your case outside the room
· Have your instrument out and ready
· Introduce yourself and your repertoire
· Get the committee’s attention
· Speak clearly
· Look people in the eye
· Know correct pronunciations of composers and compositions
· Demonstrate your ability, facility, and sensitivity
· Communicate if you have a legitimate problem (long before the audition)
What Not to Do:
· Do not wear shorts, jeans, hats, etc.
· Do not make excuses or apologies (for anything)
· Do not draw attention to problems (the committee may not notice)
What Not to Say:
· I haven’t warmed up.
· I haven’t had a chance to practice.
· I didn’t know . . .
· I just got this horn.
· What should I play?
· What would you like to hear?
· I didn’t have my instrument/sticks/etc...
· I didn’t bring any music.
· Nobody told me . . .
· Give yourself plenty of time to do everything (i.e. get up early, have a leisurely meal, arrive early to the audition)
· Avoid overpracticing, which may cause nerve problems and fatigue
· Warm up well and practice audition material under tempo
· At the site, warm up alone and don’t listen to other players
· Play to your own standards; don’t try to guess how the committee would like something performed
· Take some risks; communicate the music’s message
· Maintain a positive appearance even if you do not think you played well
· Evaluate the audition experience
(Read top line - stop in the fourth line, second bar, beat 2)
(Do the Scherzo and the Pines of Rome. Bracketed sections)