2018 Contest of Champions Final Information to Band Directors
Hello Band Directors,
We are looking forward to your attendance at the JSU Contest of Champions this Saturday. Below, please find final information for the contest.
Due to ongoing construction from tornado damage, there are slight changes to the parking assignments. The buses and instrument/equipment trucks will be parked together as originally shown on the map. However, if you have oversized props with a wheelbase wider than 5 feet, the trailer/truck carrying those props must park in front of the stadium (Meehan Hall). You can unload and assemble the props in this area as well. This parking area will give much easier access to the performance field. If your prop truck parks with your buses, your props WILL NOT fit through the fenced area leading from the bus parking/warm-up area to the performance field. For an updated bus/instrument truck/prop truck parking map, click HERE.
- Please text the message @jsucoc to the number 81010. This will enroll you in the JSU Contest of Champions remind text messaging service. By enrolling, you will receive a link to your band’s commentary at the end of your performance. Additionally, you will receive a link to the recap at the end of the contest. You may also receive up-to-date information throughout the day such as rain delays, schedule delays, equipment truck parking, etc... if they should occur.
- Automobiles will NOT be allowed to park in the bus/truck parking lots due to limited space.
- If you plan for your band to eat at the Sodexo buffet please make your reservation today by emailing Dorothy Cotton at email@example.com
- Director wristbands and Field Passes will be included in the director’s packet at Band Check-In. Each participating band will receive thirty (30) Field Passes. The Band Director may purchase up to ten (10) additional field passes on site at Band Check-In ($5 each). Field Passes allow the holder to travel through the warm-up and performance flow with the band and directors. Field Passes may also be used to enter the Spectator Area during the competition. Please inform your parents of this policy prior to the event.
Please remind your band parents that since we do not have a parent booster organization on campus, we do not have the means to provide front ensemble “movers” for our contest. Your pit-crew / parents will be responsible for transporting the front ensemble equipment/props on and off the field.
- Each band will be issued six (6) Director passes, which allows the wearer to enter the Spectator Area throughout the event. A person issued a Director wristband does not need a Field Pass and vice versa. Additional Director wristbands will not be issued and may not be purchased, loaned, borrowed or exchanged.
- The student commons building will be available for bus drivers and chaperones to reside for the day if they would like, which is located at the food court in the Theron Montgomery Building (close to the equipment truck/bus parking area). TVs are located throughout the food court area. Unfortunately, since the university is under contract with Sodexo Food Services, we are not allowed to provide food for a hospitality room at any on-campus event. The food court will be open for service; however, it will be at the driver's/chaperone's expense.
- There will be vouchers included in the registration packet for directors and assistant directors for a free Chick-fil-A sandwich and drink (redeemable at the food court Chick-fil-A in the Theron Montgomery Building).
- High school hashes will be marked with yellow tape.
- Schedules, maps, and director/field pass wristbands will be provided in the director’s packet.
- For stadium seating chart/map participating bands CLICK HERE
- The weather forecast shows the temperature dropping into the 40's by nightfall. Your students may want to bring jackets/blankets.
- For a brochure featuring the event t-shirt that will be available CLICK HERE
I hope that you find this information helpful. Have a safe trip to Jacksonville!
See ya Saturday!