WELCOME TO THE MARCHING SOUTHERNERS 20J LINE!
The Jacksonville State University Marching Southerners pride themselves in producing a one of a kind bass sound no other collegiate marching band has yet to rival. The Southerners 20J Line can attribute their truly unique bass sound to remarkable players and the world-renowned C.G. Conn 20J Upright Recording Bass.
Hometown: Harlem, GA
High School: Harlem HS
Advice to incoming freshmen: You get out of the college experience what you put into it. If you work hard, both musically and academically, you will no doubt succeed. And you will also have your fellow 20Js to support you along the way.
Hometown: Rome, GA
High School: Rome HS
Advice to incoming freshmen: Have fun, be humble and absorb as much as you can. This is where you form connections and build friendships that will stay with you forever!
1) Do we have to audition to make the 20J line? Yes, you do! The auditions are not meant to be stressful. They are a combination of marching technique, attitude, and playing ability. The section leaders will keep you informed about the music for auditions as we get closer to band camp.
Music Auditions will be submitted by video prior to band camp and visual auditions will take place during camp!
2) Do we need to wear anything specific to band camp? No, you don't! We recommend wearing light-weight clothes that you would exercise in. The only requirement is that you wear tennis shoes. Also, bring plenty of water!
3) Where do we meet for events such as Scholarship Auditions, Brass Day, J-Day Game, Band Camp? Contact your section leaders for the exact location. We attached a map of the campus that will hopefully make finding Mason Hall easier. http://www.jsu.edu/campusmap/?Mason_Hall_
4) Do you need to sign up for a specific class to be a part of the Marching Southerners? Yes! At orientation, you will need to sign up for either MU192 or 392. Once you do this, you will officially be enrolled in the Southerners. You MUST be signed up for the class to march.
5) Do we need sign up for band camp? Yes! You will sign up by clicking on the BAND CAMP REGISTRATION tab under "Events/Band Camp".
6) When are concert band auditions? Auditions for the fall semester happen after band camp and before school. There will be sign up sheets for these auditions about a week before they happen. Music for auditions will be posted around May!