WELCOME TO THE MARCHING SOUTHERNERS SAXOPHONE LINE!
The saxophone line maintains between 50 and 60 members each year, making us one of the larger sections of the band. Our versatile sound makes us critical in supporting the diverse music selection of the Marching Southerners. From the warm, beautiful Salvation to the traditional jazz style in Quilting Party, we are important to the overall sound of the Southerners.
What makes us strong though isn’t the instrument, or the music. It’s our bond as a family. That’s what being a Southerner is about.
Hometown: Ardmore, AL
High School: Ardmore High School
Advice to incoming freshmen: Being a freshman can be very intimidating, but making friends at school helps so much! Get to know the other incoming freshmen and members in your section to make your transition into college easier. Speaking from experience, some of them will become your lifelong friends!
Hometown: Jacksonville, AL
High School: Jacksonville High School
Advice to incoming freshmen: Wake up early, establish a routine, and put yourself out there! Don’t be afraid to be yourself around the people in the section, I promise that you’ll find a welcoming environment and a great support system for getting through your first year of college!
1) Do we have to audition to make the saxophone line? Yes, you do! The auditions are not meant to be stressful. They are a combination of marching technique, attitude, and playing ability. The section leaders will keep you informed about the music for auditions as we get closer to band camp.
Auditions will be held during band camp!
2) Do we need to wear anything specific to band camp? No, you don't! We recommend wearing light-weight clothes that you would exercise in. The only requirement is that you wear tennis shoes. Also, bring plenty of water!
3) Where do we meet for events such as Scholarship Auditions, Woodwind Weekend, J-Day Game, Band Camp? Contact your section leaders to find out the exact location. We attached a map of the campus that will hopefully make finding Mason Hall easier. http://www.jsu.edu/campusmap/?Mason_Hall_
4) Do you need to sign up for a specific class to be a part of the Marching Southerners? Yes! At orientation, you will need to sign up for either MU192 or 392. Once you do this, you will officially be enrolled in the Southerners. You MUST be signed up for the class to march.
5) Do we need sign up for band camp? Yes! You will sign up by clicking on the BAND CAMP REGISTRATION tab under "Events/Band Camp".
6) When are concert band auditions? Auditions for the fall semester happen after band camp and before school. There will be sign up sheets for these auditions about a week before they happen. Music for auditions will be posted around May!