2022 Marching Southerners Audition Information
2022 Marching Southerners Audition Information
I hope that you are all well and are enjoying your semester!
So that we can get the lines set in time to start pre-game drill as soon as possible during camp, we have decided to do the music auditions virtually again this year. If you play a woodwind or brass instrument, we will need you to submit your audition video by July 23 @ 5 pm. All marching/visual auditions will take place at camp. Your music (video) audition score will be combined with your marching/visual audition score to give you a final audition score. Concert band auditions with still remain at the end of band camp.
Here are the instructions for submitting your audition video.
- Scroll to the bottom of this page to find what music is required for the audition for your section.
- Go to the toolbar at the top of this page. Under “Sections” click on the name of the section you are auditioning for. This should take you to the page where your show music is found. (The show music will be posted after the show release, when writing is complete).
- Download and practice all required audition music and material. This is listed at the bottom of this page.
- Video record yourself playing the audition music and immediately (on the same video file) record yourself playing your chromatic scale so that we can hear your range. (Some instruments will have specific instruction on the audition music for the chromatic scale. If not, start on the lowest note comfortable for you and play to the highest note comfortable).
- Once you are happy with your recording, upload your video file to YouTube as an unpublished file.(All audition material should be on the same video. Not separate videos.) Once your file has uploaded, copy the link.
- Next, you must complete the audition form. This can be found below this post on the page, just scroll down.
- Use your official name that is in the JSU system to register….no nicknames.
- Paste your YouTube link where it asks for your audition link.
- Click submit.
- Once uploaded, a message will appear that will say thank you for your submission.
That’s all there is to it!
If you have any problem submitting the video file, please contact me!
If you need to check out an instrument (mellophone, baritone, euphonium, 20J) to complete your video, our graduate assistants will be available to meet you at Bennett Field on Woodwind Day and Brass Day for select hours. Woodwind Day is June 18th, and Brass Day is July 9th.
Remember, in order to be considered for a spot with the 2022 Marching Southerners, you must submit your audition video by Saturday, July 23 @ 5 pm (If you would like to submit it before then, that is perfectly fine)!
Again, If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or your section leader! I can’t wait to get everyone on campus for band camp and get this season started.
Have a great semester and summer, be safe, and be well!
Audition Music and Info
Everyone will be required to audition on Flute. Following this, the Section Leaders will audition individuals for the Piccolo spots. Practice with a tuner while playing the audition music, and while practicing your chromatic scale.
Clarinet 1 Audition Music (Opener, measures 39-51)
Clarinet 2 Audition Music (Opener, measures 39-51)
In Addition to the opener excerpt, you will need to play “Stars Fell”, on whichever part you feel most comfortable. That music will be posted below. Include this in your video.
Alto Sax Audition Music (Opener, measures 37- downbeat of 47)
Tenor Sax Audition Music (Opener, measures 37- downbeat of 47)
Bari Sax Audition Music (Opener, measures 47-54)
In Addition to the opener excerpt, you will need to play “Quilting Party”. That music will be posted below. Include this in your video.
Alto Sax Quilting Party (D- the end)
Tenor Sax Quilting Party (Pickups to C- downbeat of D)
Bari Sax Quilting Party (measure 17- first note of C)
Trumpet 1 Audition Music (Opener, measures 13-27)
Trumpet 2 Audition Music (Opener, measures 13-27)
Trumpet 3 Audition Music (Opener, measures 13-27)
In addition to the opener excerpt, you will be required play “Salvation is Created” and “Quilting Party”, on whichever part you feel most comfortable. That music will be posted below. Include these in your video.
You will also be required to include a chromatic scale in your video. This will correspond to the part you would like to be considered for in the show.
Upper Lead: Middle G- Double A
Lower Lead: Middle G- High D
Second: Middle G- High A
Third: Middle G- High G
*A great, warm, symphonic sound is what we want to hear. A solid 2nd or 3rd part audition is better than a strained, shrill lead part audition.*
Horn 1 Audition Music (Opener, measure 5 to the downbeat of measure 21)
Horn 2 Audition Music (Opener, measure 5 to the downbeat of measure 21)
In addition to the opener excerpt, you will be required to play “Salvation is Created”. If you would like to audition for a 1st Mellophone part, you will play the top splits. Lower horn parts will play the lower splits. Please play whichever part you are most comfortable on, and allows for a warm sound. Include this in your audition video.
You will also be required to include a chromatic scale in your video. These will correspond to the part that you are auditioning for.
1st Horn: Low C- High C above the staff, and hold for 4 counts.
2nd Horn: Low C- G above the staff, and hold for 4 counts.
20J Audition Music (Opener, measure 16-27, and 47-end)
In addition to the opener excerpt, you will be required to play “Quilting Party”, Letter D- to the End. This will need to be MEMORIZED. Include this in your audition video.
*LOW SPLIT AUDITIONS: If you would like to audition for the low split part, please play from low Bb down, chromatically, to as low as you can go. Include this in your video.*