WELCOME TO THE MARCHING SOUTHERNERS FLUTE LINE!
Hometown: Douglasville, Georgia
High School: Alexander High School
Message to Potential Members: Don’t be afraid to put yourself our there and make friends!
Hometown: Guntersville, Alabama
High School: Guntersville High School
Message to Potential Members: Being in southerners inspires me everyday to be a better musician and a kinder person. Enjoy it before it’s gone! 🙂
1) Do we have to audition to make the flute line? Yes, you do! The auditions are not meant to be stressful. They are a combination of marching technique, attitude, and playing ability. The section leaders will keep you informed about the music for auditions as we get closer to band camp.
Auditions will be held during band camp!
2) Do we have to audition on flute before we audition on piccolo? Yes! You have to make the flute line before you audition on piccolo. The piccolo auditions are a little different and have more to do with intonation.
3) Do we have to have a specific kind of piccolo if we make the line? The only requirement is that it is a black plastic piccolo. Most members on the line march a Pearl PFP105E (http://www.bandinstrumentsguide.com/pearl-pfp-105e-piccolo-review/) or a Gemeinhardt 4P (http://www.gemeinhardt.com/gemeinhardt-4p-piccolo.html). These are ones we typically use, but do not require! Please feel free to look on other websites or go to any music store to find a good deal on the instrument.
4) Do we need to wear anything specific to band camp? No, you don't! We recommend wearing light-weight clothes that you would exercise in. The only requirement is that you wear tennis shoes. Also, bring plenty of water!
5) Where do we meet for events such as Scholarship Auditions, Woodwind Weekend, J-Day Game, Band Camp? Contact your section leaders to find out the exact location. We attached a map of the campus that will hopefully make finding Mason Hall easier. http://www.jsu.edu/campusmap/?Mason_Hall_
6) Do you need to sign up for a specific class to be a part of the Marching Southerners? Yes. At orientation, you will need to sign up for either MU192 or 392. Once you do this, you will officially be enrolled in the Southerners. You MUST be signed up for the class to march.
7) Do we need sign up for band camp? Yes! You will sign up by clicking on the BAND CAMP REGISTRATION tab under "Events/Band Camp".
8) When are concert band auditions? Auditions for the fall semester happen after band camp and before school. There will be sign up sheets for these auditions about a week before they happen. Music for auditions will be posted around May!