2023 Marching Southerners Audition Information
I hope that you are all well and are enjoying your semester!
In order to get the lines set in time to start pre-game drill as soon as possible during camp, we have decided to do the music auditions virtually again this year. If you play a woodwind or brass instrument, you will need to submit an audition video. The video audition submission due date is July 1st, 2023. All marching/visual auditions will take place at camp. Your music audition (video) score will be combined with your marching/visual audition score to give you a final audition score. Concert band auditions will still remain at the end of band camp.
If you need to check out an instrument (mellophone, baritone, euphonium, 20J) to complete your video, our graduate teaching assistants will be available to check out horns at Bennett Field (Mellophone/Baritone/Euphonium) and Mason Hall (20J) on April 12th, 2023 from 5PM – 7:30PM. If you are an incoming member and need to checkout an instrument prior to July 1st because you do not have your high school instrument to use in your video music submission, please contact one of the graduate teaching assistants through their emails found on the “Leadership Staff” tab of the Band Camp page.
Remember, in order to be considered for a spot with the 2023 Marching Southerners, you must submit your audition video by the deadline (July 1st). If you would like to submit it before then, that is perfectly fine!
Again, If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at email@example.com. I can’t wait to get everyone on campus for band camp and get this season started.
Have a great semester and summer, be safe, and register for band camp today!
Audition Music and Info
To make Southerners Flute Line, you must have a positive attitude and a willingness to work hard.
- Measures 59 – 77
- Measures 90 – 98
- Full Piece.
Your comfortable full-range chromatic scale at whatever tempo is most comfortable for you.
- Piccolo auditions will be IN PERSON during the first week of band camp. This goes for both new members and returning members. There is no need to include your piccolo audition in your video.
- The following factors will play into piccolo line auditions this year:
- You must make Southerners Flute Line to audition for the piccolo line.
- Your piccolo must be a black plastic/composite material.
- It is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED that you have your own piccolo at the time of your audition.
- Piccolo auditions will test the following skills:
- Intonation/ability to adjust pitch.
- Tone quality.
- Rhythmic accuracy.
- Eagerness to improve.
- Willingness to learn.
- Creating a positive environment for those in the Southerners Piccolo Line and Southerners Flute Line.
What to play in your IN-PERSON piccolo audition (date of audition will be discussed at band camp!):
- Measures 59 – 77
- Measures 90 – 98
- Measures 121 – END
- Full Piece.
- Your comfortable full-range chromatic scale at whatever pace (tempo) is most comfortable for you.
- Start at your lowest comfortable note and go all the way to your highest.
- Measures 59-69
- Measures 99-111
- Measures 130-end
Salvation and Quilting Party: (Upper Lead auditionees play the fermata “A” in measure 9 of Salvation followed by a leap to high “E”)
In addition to the opener excerpt, you will be required play “Salvation is Created” and “Quilting Party,” on whichever part you feel most comfortable. That music will be posted below. Include these in your video.
*You will also be required to include a chromatic scale in your video. This will correspond to the part you would like to be considered for in the show.*
*A great, warm, symphonic sound is what we want to hear. A solid 2nd or 3rd part audition is better than a strained, shrill lead part audition.*
- Upper Lead: Middle G- Double A
- Lower Lead: Middle G- High D
- Second: Middle G- High Bb
- Third: Middle G- High G
*Your audition may be spliced into multiple videos if desired.*
Opener Excerpt: (Please audition on the part you wish to play. Leads play upper split on Horn 1. 1sts play lower split on Horn 1)
- Measures 53 – 77
In addition to the opener excerpt, you will be required to play the following lyrical excerpt in its entirety. Please play whichever part you are most comfortable on and allows for a warm sound. Include this in your audition video.
You will also be required to include a chromatic scale in your video. These will correspond to the part that you are auditioning for.
- 1st Horn: Low C- High C above the staff, and hold for 4 counts.
- 2nd Horn: Low C- G above the staff, and hold for 4 counts.
- Measures 18 – 38
- Measures 43 – 77
In addition to the opener excerpts, you will be required to play “Quilting Party”, Letter D- to the End. This will need to be MEMORIZED. Include this in your audition video.
Lower Split Auditions: (Optional)
If you would like to audition for the low split part, please play from low Bb down, chromatically, to as low as you can go. Include this in your video.