JSU Marching Southerners

Marching Southerners

Band Camp


***Everyone must register for the Marching Southerners class in order to participate in the band or band camp (MU 192 or MU 392).

If you are a member of the Marching Ballerinas or the Southerners Colorguard, you must register for the Marching Ballerinas class for the fall semester in order to participate (MU 198 or MU 398).***


The online band camp registration form is required of all Members: Rookies & Vets.

For all of the woodwinds and brass players, we will be having a virtual music audition process. This video audition will be combined with a marching/visual audition that with take place at band camp for your overall audition score. The link to this audition will be found on this page at a future date. 

If you experience any problems registering, please email your section leaders. Their email addresses are located on the Leadership Staff page.




If you would like to be housed in a dorm room during band camp, here are a few things you will need to know. For those of you staying in a dorm as your permanent housing for the fall semester, you will move directly to your permanent dorm when you check in at camp. JSU will NOT be providing temporary housing for band camp during Fall 2024. In order to have on campus housing for band camp, you will need to be registered for Fall 2024 permanent housing. 


Food Services on campus will be open during band camp. The campus cafeteria, the Jack Hopper Dining Hall, will be charging $10 for meals during band camp (CASH ONLY). You might also plan to visit restaurants in town for your meals. Please note some local restaurants do not accept credit/debit cards, and others do not accept checks. Plan accordingly! Finally, some students will bring small refrigerators, buy food at the grocery store, and prepare their own meals. Whichever way you go, be sure to eat healthy, complete meals during band camp. You’ll need strength and energy to make it through rehearsal!


Our outstanding band organization did not gain its international reputation without the full attendance of its members. Accordingly, your perfect and timely attendance is expected to be the norm. Please print and keep the camp schedule once it is finalized for reference during band camp. Minor adjustments in the rehearsal schedule will occur as needed; however, the time parameters will not be expanded. Ask off from work NOW!


Your instrument and equipment should be brought to each rehearsal (including our first meeting). You will need a pencil to mark your music and a wire stand for all music rehearsals. (If you use an iPad or tablet for music, please make sure that it is charged for music rehearsals). The Marching Southerners use the Ultimate Drill Book app for marching drill. You will need to make sure that your phone is fully charged for marching rehearsals, as you will be checking your coordinates often. During rehearsals it is very important to wear only quality athletic footwear. Long practice hours will take a toll on your feet, so be prepared!

You will also need a good sized water bottle. During Band Camp we will provide ice and water during outdoor rehearsals, however you will need to fill up your water bottle before rehearsal once the regular season begins. 


Uniforms will be checked out during band camp. A representative from Dinkles marching band shoes will attend camp during the first few days to size everyone who needs performance shoes and to take orders. Marching Southerners performances require this type of shoes. (Winds & Percussion)

a. The shoes are $35 (which includes tax)

b. You may pay with cash or with credit card

c. If you pay with cash, you must have correct change ($35)

d. The shoes will be delivered and distributed before the first performance.


The Graduate Assistants will check out university-owned instruments prior to band camp (date TBA). All large instruments (20-Js, percussion, baritones and mellophones) are provided by the University free of charge. These instruments will also have mouthpieces included, that everyone will play on. This helps us achieve our world-renowned sound! However, individuals are responsible for any damages. Please take care of our precious instruments!

Music & Charts:

Although the Southerners always memorize their music for performance, we prefer that instrumentalists carry their music for reference during all rehearsals. These items significantly improve the efficiency and productivity of our rehearsals. Download the stand music here. Due to the limited amount of music stands in the music department, all percussionists, woodwind and brass players are REQUIRED to bring their own music stand to camp. If you have a large device such as an iPad or tablet, you are welcome to read your music that way, however we discourage using phones for music, as it is hard to see and change during rehearsal.


Members will be required to purchase some personal items for use in the guard. Please be prepared to make these purchases upon arrival at camp. Please check the JSU Colorguard website for additional information.


Be sure to maintain contact with your Group Leaders for all other details regarding Ballerina preparations. Please check the Ballerina website for additional information.



General Information:

When people think of Jacksonville State University, one of the first things that comes to mind is the Marching Southerners’ trademark sound.

One of the keys to building that powerful sound is the use of proper equipment. No one expects you to use a professional-level horn on the field, but it is essential that your marching horn play in tune and be in good working order. A visit to your local repair shop this summer might be a wise investment.

Have your horn checked for leaks, and get those sticky valves or missing pads repaired before you show up the first day of camp. Clarinet and saxophone players should plan to have a supply of quality reeds on hand throughout marching season. Go ahead now and throw out all those useless, worn-out reeds! Finally, even if you don’t already make cleaning your horn a habit – and you should! – please take the time to clean your horn thoroughly before you arrive at band camp!

All these factors – leaky, misaligned horns, cracked, worn reeds and nasty, gummed-up instruments – wreak havoc on your individual playing and diminish the quality of the full band’s sound.

Each section has additional guidelines, listed below, to ensure that no one arrives in camp using improper equipment. While by no means comprehensive, these guidelines have proven over time to be the best choices for most people. As with everything, of course, there may be exceptions.

If you don’t see your preferred mouthpiece listed, don’t panic; just ask your section leaders about it. Generally, it boils down to how you sound when you play on that mouthpiece. Simply put, if you find that you’re sacrificing tone for a few notes of extended range or a few more decibels of volume, it will not be accepted in the Southerners. Tone, control, and intonation are everything!


Section Information:

Your section leader will have the final decision about any equipment not listed below. Remember, if you do have to get a new mouthpiece, it may take some time getting comfortable with it, so please don’t wait until August to start playing on it!

Those auditioning for piccolo will need to have a plastic horn and should practice with a tuner all summer, since the auditions will be with tuners.The University does not provide flutes/piccolos.

Horns should be plastic. The University does not provide clarinets.

Selmer C* or similar symphonic mouthpiece preferred, but sound quality is most important. Rock, fusion, or jazz-style mouthpieces are acceptable only if you can consistently achieve good intonation and a warm, controlled tone. The university has a limited number of bari saxophones available to checkout. However, the university does not provide alto or tenor saxophones. 

Bach 1.5C or 3C or equivalent are encouraged. “Lead pieces” are discouraged, and will require approval from the section leaders. The university does not provide trumpets or mouthpieces. 

Mouthpieces and mellophones are provided by the University bands. No Trumpet mouthpieces allowed.

Bach 5G or larger; Shilke 51D or larger. (Large-bore horns with F-attachment are preferred and encouraged.) The university does not provide trombones. 

Mouthpieces and marching baritones/euphoniums are provided by University Bands.

Custom mouthpieces and 20Js (tubas) are provided by University Bands. 


You may contact the Band Office at (256) 782-5562 for general information. For more specific questions regarding your section, email the University Bands Graduate Assistants, or the Section Leaders. Their contact information can be found by clicking here. You can usually expect an answer fairly quickly.

Skip to content